Friday, March 17, 2017

Farewell to Brother Clayton Sonmore


My name is Daniel Ekong. I met Brother Clayton Sonmore once in a meeting in Port Harcourt, Nigeria in 1990, if memory serves me well. I was transitioning into my twenties then and there was at that time a spiritual excitement among the young christian people. The dominating phrase of the time that appeared to convey a sense of direction for the youths was "Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues" Rev 18:4. This phrase appeared to characterize that particular time frame and could be likened to a gas that filled the air which many Christ filled believer did inhale. It was at this moment in time that Brother Clayton Sonmore showed up with a word about showing the house to house. The message he brought was nothing ordinary to us. it was very captivating and the books were even more riveting. They impacted my life instantly and added context to everything I was inhaling in the air then. Many of us committed to a life of separation and consecration to the Lord, as a direct result of the quickening and inspiration that came from Brother Clayton. 
  
In recent times the Lord has led me into studying the lives of many Christ filled stalwarts of the 20th century. I have been going over biographies and inspiring stories of men who have sacrificed for Jesus as a testimony to us who live at this time. I found the outpouring and anointing in the 20th century greater than at any time in the history of the Church. This is just my observation. Simply put, the stories our incredible. Hedged in the middle of this tremendous times is the story of Clayton Sonmore as told by Demos Shakarian, in the book, "The Happiest People on Earth". 

As I review the lives of these great men of faith, I see Brother Clayt as one of the last stalwart of faith from that great era of God's dealings towards the Church and the people of the earth. May his ascension to join the great cloud and company of witnesses, stir in our hearts a deep commitment, affection and sacrifice of ourselves to our Lord and Master, Jesus Christ.